LAOS FIELD TREK TOUR
Laos is the perfect destination for a school “field trip” experience. Students will have the opportunity to cycle through the scenic landscapes, picturesque hillsides and visit the quiet rural villages and witness the culture and daily life of the local people.
Students will be truly immersed in the fascinating country of Laos. With trekking, swimming in the cool waterfalls and kayaking on the Mekong River, this memorable trip combines adventure activities with beautiful landscapes and UNESCO World Heritage sites.
With the opportunities to participate in a conservation project at the elephant sanctuary, offer alms to hundreds of saffron-robed monks, and visit Asia’s “Stone Henge”, this school tour will provide your students with a new perspective as they experience in depth exploration and make authentic connections through hands on experiences.
Your school can incorporate a wide range of projects into this suggested itinerary to suit your trip's outcome. See our Project Types.
This is a suggested itinerary only and can be changed to suit each individual school group. We can specifically tailor each itinerary to ensure that we meet your schools learning objectives and requirements. Whether your students are travelling for a specific topic or looking for something with the cross-curricula value we can meet all of your requirements.
Trip code : LSC393
Duration : 9 days
Destination : Laos
Travel Dates : As required
- Learn about the Laotian history, culture, and traditions
- Take part in a community project and give back to local communities
- Engage in studies of society and environment
- Connect with environmental and conservation issues
- Discover the ancient practices of this facinating country
- Participate in team building exercises such as community service project, group-trekking and kayaking
- Enhance perspectives, develop appreciation for diversity and differences
- Develop communication skills within peers and in a foreign environment
- Discover a world more beautiful, diverse, and colourful than any textbook could ever portray
- Develop skills for students through a meaningful overseas experience
- Discover the history and culture of Luang Prabang and Vientiane and visit key sites
- Hike through the jungle and swim in the pristine Kuang Si Waterfalls
- Take part in a community project and contribute to conservation efforts at a Elephant Sanctuary
- Explore spectacular caves
- Take a trip to the local markets
- Join the local people as they perform their unique tradition of daily Morning Alms Giving
- Visit the Plain of Jars archeological site
- Kayak along the pristine river systems and experience local life along the river
On arrival at Vientiane airport, students and teachers will be welcomed by our local guide and transferred to the hotel for check in and a briefing about your Laos program.
Our local guide will also conduct a short Laotian language lesson so you can familiarise yourself with some local phrases that you can use throughout your journey.
Accommodation in Vientiane.
Today, students will spend the whole of the day exploring Vientiane. Students will have plenty of time to visit the important sites in Vientiane such as Cope Vientiane, Laos National Museum, Patuxai Victory Monument, and Buddha Park.
In the afternoon, we will explore the many temples in Vientiane. Pha That Luang is the first temple we visit and is Laos’ most important cultural monument and is a symbol of its powerful ancient royal kingdoms.
Next, we will visit the former royal temple of Wat Prakeo, which previously housed the famous Emerald Buddha Image. A highlight will be watching the spectacular view over the Mekong River at sunset, which provides a great photographic opportunity.
Accommodation in Vientiane.
After breakfast, this morning we leave for a 3-hour drive to Vang Vieng. Our first stop will be at the Hmong village and then the archeological site of Vang Xang which dates back to the Mon-Khmer period of the 8-11th century. After our visit we stop and have lunch at a local restaurant.
In the afternoon, we visit Tham Chang (Freezing Cave), which is considered to be the largest cave in Vang Vieng, and is located in an idyllic setting.The cave's name means “unable to move” because of its freezing cold water and thanks to the fresh air, this is an ideal destination for visitors to cool off in the hot weather. You can take time to relax in the tranquil natural atmosphere outside the cave.
Accommodation in Vang Vieng.
Today, we will drive to Xieng Khoang. The drive should take about 6 hours, but there will be many stops at local villages to stretch our legs, take photos or meet the local people.
This afternoon we visit Asia’s “Stone Henge” – an archaeological site featuring a vast scattering of giant stone jars, most likely used as funeral jars for storing bodies during the Stone Age (500BC - 500AD). Exactly where the stones jars were produced and transported from remains unknown. Around the jar sites teeth, pottery, iron, and bronze objects have been found. Our local guide will explain this historic site to us. As we travel through the countryside students will learn about local agricultural practices, self-sustainability, and the issue of waste management in the areas they visit.
Accommodation in Xieng Khoang.
This morning we visit the Central Market of Phonsavan and see how local people purchase and sell their local products and soak up the market atmosphere.
We then travel by bus to the ancient capital of Laos, Luang Prabang. This spectacular drive will pass through one of the most spectacular routes in Laos with amazing landscapes of mountains and forests.
We arrive in Luang Prabang in the late afternoon and climb Mount Phousi, which is Luang Prabang’s highest hill and stands at 100 metres above sea level and is a great spot to watch the sunset and offers panoramic views of Luang Prabang.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
Wake up early in the early morning, and we will witness and participate in offering alms to hundreds of saffron-robed monks – an awe-inspiring sight. Our guide will prepare special food for students to hand over to the monks, however, if students do not wish to make an offering, please keep an appropriate distance, and observe the ritual in silence.
After breakfast, we drive to the ethnic Khmu village of Ban Long Lao, where you will have the opportunity to observe the lifestyles of two different minority groups and learn how they work together on a day to day basis.
We then commence our trek on a trail that leads through rice paddies and vegetable fields before reaching the mountainous forest. Our trekking brings us to the spectacular Kuang Si waterfalls. You will have time to climb to the top of the falls and bring your bathers so you can have a swim in the cool pristine water.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
After breakfast, we depart for the Elephant Conservation Centre. On arrival we will be given a briefing by our local guide on the projects we will be participating in.
We will have the opportunity to observe the elephants and learn more about their playful characters and gain a deeper understanding of the habitat and the biodiversity of the protected forests.
Spending time at the Elephant Socialization Area will be a big part of the day and learning more about recreating a semi-natural living environment for the elephants. As you participate in a community service project you will not only learn more about the elephants and their habitat, but will be creating unforgettable memories.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
After breakfast we leave for an active day of mountain biking and kayaking. Cycle through the Nam Khan valley and witness the spectacular countryside, diverse villages, and golden temples. We take a break on the banks of the Nam Khan River.
After lunch we will have time to explore and swim at Tad Sae Waterfall, then afterwards we paddle back downstream to Luang Prabang by kayak, on the Nam Khan River.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
Today after breakfast, we transfer you to the airport.
For operational reasons and passenger safety, Tweet World Travel and its suppliers reserve the right to change, vary, modify or cancel any itinerary or arrangement in relation to the tour/cruise as considered necessary.
All of our tours require a reasonable level of fitness. Every traveller on our tours is required the ability to walk around sights on uneven surfaces in both urban and rural / mountainous areas unaided. You'll be getting on and off coaches and boats, walking around the sights and climbing some steps.
Please read our itinerary carefully for outline of fitness level to help you select the right holiday for you.
• All persons must be fit and physically able to partake unaided in their chosen activities/packages/tours /cruise etc. as outlined in the itinerary.
• All parties acknowledge the physical demands and hazards involved in the tour or cruise they will be undertaking and have chosen to participate at their own risk.
Our group size ranges from only 2 to 16 people. This means less of your precious time is wasted waiting for others, allowing you to have more time to enjoy your holiday.
For group tours with 10 travellers or more, in addition to the tour guide, we will provide a dedicated tour director (free of charge) who will escort the tour from the beginning to the end.
Our itinerary features sumptuous Welcome and Farewell Dinners for a delightful, authentic culinary experience, whereas the special Chef’s Table experience will take you on an unparalleled culinary demonstration and beautiful menu to feast on.
Note: It is your responsibility to notify us of any dietary requests/requirements. We will do our best to meet your request/requirements, however, cannot guarantee that it can always be accommodated.
• Room Information: All rooms are air-conditioned, Fridge/ Mini Bar in room, Safe box in room
• Triple Share: Available upon request
• Bedding Configuration: Double or twin bedding (subject to availability).
• Adjoining / Interconnecting Rooms: Available upon request (subject to availability).
• Laundry service is available at hotels/resorts where you will stay during the tour and will incur additional charges if used
• Massage service is available at hotels where you will stay during the tour and will incur additional charges if used.
After purchase, you are required to make a deposit or full payment for your order. Please note most of our deposit is non-refundable. Please check your booking and your invoice for the Terms and Conditions which apply specifically to your booking.
If you would like to cancel your booking, please refer to our cancellation terms.
• Any special requests, preferences MUST be clearly stated in your Passenger Information Form
• Any change requested after submitting your Passenger Information Form cannot be guaranteed, is strictly subject to availability and will incur surcharges
Safety Net Protection enables passengers to amend their tour and/or river cruise 15 days prior to departure, to another tour/cruise to the same destination, departing in the same year (once only) without any applicable cancellation charges or penalties.
The new tour/cruise must be at the same cost or higher but cannot be at lower cost than the initial cruise/ tour booked. If the passenger chooses the higher cost option, then the additional difference amount must be paid. However, no modifications shall be accepted less than 15 days prior to departure.
• Safety Net Protection is payable immediately at the time of making the deposit payment. Once purchased, Safety Net Protection is not refundable
• Safety Net Protection does not apply for airfares or third-party fees and charges.
• Safety Net Protection allows for amendment ONLY, not cancellation.
• You will be responsible for all your personal belongings while on the tours. It is your responsibility to make sure your room is secure.
In general, tipping is widely accepted as a way to show your appreciation of good service but is not compulsory. Tipping is expected and often makes up a large part of people's wages.
• If you are happy with services provided by your tour guides and drivers, a tip is appreciated. Recommended tips - For the guides and drivers - $6US per day per passenger.
• If travel on a river cruises and happy with the services provided by your crews and service onboard. Recommended tips - For the crews and guides - $10US per day per passenger.
All of our tours will include internal flights within the tour, which allow 20kg of check-in luggage and 7kg of carry-on luggage per passenger. A surcharge may apply for oversized/overweight luggage subject to the airline's policy.
• You will be responsible for all your personal belongings while on the tours/cruises. It is your responsibility to make sure your room/cabin is secure.
• Tweet World Travel will not be liable for any loss or damage to your luggage or other personal belongings.
For your protection, we strongly recommend that you purchase comprehensive travel insurance for your travel arrangements (without limitation) that include coverage for medical expenses, loss of luggage, cruise, land content and airfare charges that may occur.
You need to provide us your Travel Insurance details upon booking, or at least before 30 days prior to your departure.
If you do not have travel insurance prior to your departure, we retain the rights to refuse boarding/joining our tours or cruises. We might refund / provide travel credits for you, less any unrecoverable fees including but not limited to admin fees, visas fees, other suppliers’ cancellation fees. We won’t be held liable for any costs associated with this matter.
All of our school tours include the below standard inclusions:
- 24/7 local assistance and travel guidance
- Medical kit
- Airport Meet-and-Greet welcome service with the local tour guide
- Assistance with project coordination for community project/services or mission/immersion trips
- Destination and trip Information Packs
- A unique "local-host" experience exclusively offered by Tweet World Travel
- Laos Visa
- Stay at excellent hand-selected high-quality 3 or 4- star accommodation in a central location or adjacent to monuments or strategically at the edge of a wilderness.
- We guarantee that students will be located together within the same area in hotels
- Entrance fees at monuments
- Comprehensive sightseeing as per itinerary:
- Vientiane City tour
- Vang Vieng ethnic village tour
- Xieng Khoang & Plain of Jars tour
- Mount Phousi trekking
- Morning alms giving & Village tour
- Trek to Kuangsi Waterfall
- Nam Khan valley and river kayaking
- All local government fees & tax
- Community service at an Elephant conservation centre
- Arrival and departure airport transfers in private air-conditioned vehicles
- All touring in private air-conditioned vehicles
- Locally based professional drivers
TOUR GUIDE & TOUR LEADER
- English-speaking local tour guides who live and breathe the destination – they will bring your itinerary to life
- On top of local tour guides, we will provide an experienced Local Tour Director. He or she will oversee the entire journey, accompany your group every day and connect you to the people, places and encounters in a way you’ll never forget.
- Welcome & Farewell Dinner
- A Unique & Varied Dining Experience
- Full Breakfast Daily; Select Lunches and Dinners (B=breakfast; L=lunch; D=dinner)
- Projects your group would like to participate
- Desired outcome/Learning objectives for students
- Accommodation level
- Travel date
- Group Size
- Duration of the tour
Your Laos visa is included in our tour and we act on your behalf to apply for the visas, all necessary documents relating to your visa application will have to be provided to us at least 90 days before your departure. If you fail to provide the necessary documents before 90 days prior to your departure, we will not be held liable for your visa application.
The visa fee included in our tour is not refundable in any circumstances.
- All travellers must have a valid passport for international travel and most countries require at least 6 months validity from the date of return and some countries require a machine‐readable passport.
- If you provide all necessary documents relating to your visa application in less than 90 day before departure, an additional fee of $120 per person will incur.
- It is your sole responsibility for any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not satisfying the requirements of those authorities
- Travellers might need to present the visas at multiple checkpoints and may be refused to fly out of their countries, if the visa documents cannot be presented. If such an event occurs, we won’t be liable, and the travellers will be deemed as “no-show”. Please check our term and condition for a ‘’No-show” penalty.