LAOS EXPLORER SCHOOL TOUR
This "explorer" school tour allows students to discover the authentic side of Laos. With its meandering rivers, remote villages and tranquil cities, Laos is famous for its gentle pace that invites students to slow down and absorb their surroundings more thoroughly.
Laos's cities are a unique mix of golden Buddhist temples, French colonial architecture, and colourful markets, thick with aromas of incense and yet you do not need to travel far to find waterfalls, caves and jungle-clad mountains to explore.
Students will visit all the must-see sites and handsome colonial architecture in Vientiane, and unwind in the tranquil river city of Luang Prabang, with its saffron-robed monks and vibrant night markets.
This school tour combines inspiring activities, active field trips, the chance to explore rural communities, participate in conservation programs all with a special focus on education and cultural immersion. Combined with a meaningful community project this school tour will provide unique learning outcomes that reach far beyond the classroom.
Your school can incorporate a wide range of projects into this suggested itinerary to suit your trip's outcome. See our Project Types.
This is a suggested itinerary only and can be changed to suit each individual school group. We can specifically tailor each itinerary to ensure that we meet your schools learning objectives and requirements. Whether your students are travelling for a specific topic or looking for something with the cross-curricula value we can meet all of your requirements.
Trip code : LSC392
Duration : 8 days
Destination : Laos
Travel Dates : As required
- Learn about the Laotian history, culture, and traditions
- Take part in a community project and give back to local communities
- Engage in studies of society and environment
- Connect with environmental and conservation issues
- Discover the ancient practices of weaving and paper making
- Participate in team building exercises such as community service project, group-trekking and a cooking class
- Enhance perspectives, develop appreciation for diversity and differences
- Develop communication skills within peers and in a foreign environment
- Discover a world more beautiful, diverse, and colourful than any textbook could ever portray
- Develop skills for students through a meaningful overseas experience
- Discover the history and culture of Luang Prabang and Vientiane and visit key sites
- Hike through the jungle and swim in the pristine Kuang Si Waterfalls
- Support local communities with a community service activity
- Support the conservation efforts of the Free the Bears protection program for the sun and moon bears
- Explore the Pak Ou Caves
- Take a trip to the local markets and get all you need for a fun traditional cooking class
- Join the local people as they perform their unique tradition of daily Morning Alms Giving
- Witness the traditional art of paper making and weaving in a local village
- Climb Mount Phousi to watch the sunset over Luang Prabang
On arrival at Vientiane airport, students and teachers will be welcomed by our local guide and transferred to the hotel for check in and a briefing about your Laos program.
Our local guide will also conduct a short Laotian language lesson so you can familiarise yourself with some local phrases that you can use throughout your journey.
Accommodation in Vientiane.
Today, students will spend the whole of the day exploring Vientiane. Students will have plenty of time to visit the important sites in Vientiane such as Cope Vientiane, Laos National Museum, Patuxai Victory Monument, and Buddha Park.
In the afternoon, we will explore the many temples in Vientiane. Pha That Luang is the first temple we visit, and is Laos’ most important cultural monument and is a symbol of its powerful ancient royal kingdoms.
Next, we will visit the former royal temple of Wat Prakeo, which previously housed the famous Emerald Buddha Image. A highlight will be watching the spectacular view over the Mekong River at sunset, which provides a great photographic opportunity.
Accommodation in Vientiane.
With a choice of community service projects to choose from students will have the unique opportunity to work with a disadvantaged community in Laos and contribute to providing an improved quality of life for the local people and build skills for their own future through this meaningful experience.
Accommodation in Vientiane.
After breakfast, this morning we take a short flight to Luang Prabang. On arrival you will be welcomed by our local guide and transferred to your hotel in Luang Prabang to check in.
This afternoon we have a fun Laos cooking class where students can cook their own Laos feast. First, we take a market tour to gain an understanding of all the products and ingredients required. We will cook traditional recipes with the fresh local ingredients, meats, and spices, which are typically eaten in Laos. This is a fun and hands-on activity, accompanied by passionate chefs who will guide students through the process from start to finish! At the end students will get to enjoy the meal they have prepared for their dinner.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
Today, we travel by bus to the Bear Rescue Centre and the picturesque Kuang Si Waterfall.
First, we will meet the Education Team at the Tat Kuang Si Bear Rescue Centre, where we will learn about the history and conservation work at the centre. We then tour the bear sanctuary where we will hear the unique and moving rescue stories of the bears as well as learn about the Education Programme and what the sanctuary is doing to protect the wild bears. You will then meet the bears and help the Bear Care Team to prepare their food. By taking part in this unique experience you'll be contributing directly towards helping care for bears rescued from the illegal wildlife trade.
After our morning visit, we enjoy a short walk through the beautiful forest to the Kuang Si Waterfall. The waterfall is magical with its emerald water and the backdrop of the white limestone cliffs. Teachers and students can enjoy a refreshing swim in the beautiful natural pools, walk around the falls, and climb up to the top of the falls.
On our way back from the falls we return to the Bear Rescue Centre and help the Bear Care Team make enrichment treats for the bears. The Bear Care Team will then hide the enrichments in the bears enclosures, and students can watch the bears figure out how to find the treats inside.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
This morning we rise early, and students and teachers will join the local people with their unique tradition of daily Morning Alms Giving. The offerings are normally sticky rice, flowers, fruits and sometimes money. Afterward, we return to the hotel for a late breakfast.
After breakfast we leave and ride in on a traditional wooden boat ride to discover the mysterious Pak Ou Caves, overlooking the Mekong River. We will spend some time exploring these holy limestone caves, where statues and carvings of the Buddha gaze down from every conceivable surface. Being one of the most respected holy sites in Laos, the Pak Ou Caves have a history dating back thousands of years. We will also learn about the importance of the Mekong River that spans six countries and acts as their vital water source. There are issues of upstreaming damming, fishing, and illegal irrigation that we will discuss.
On our way back to Luang Prabang we stop at the villages of Ban Xieng Lek and Ban Xang Khong, known as the “paper and weaving” villages, and watch the local artists and learn about traditional silk weaving and paper making.
Tonight, we explore the vibrant night market.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
After an early breakfast at the hotel, we set off to discover Luang Prabang. Our first stop is the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre, where we can see valuable artifacts, traditional costumes, and unique features from the 20 ethnic minority groups residing in Luang Prabang. Next, we visit the city’s oldest temple Wat Sene, impressive Wat Xieng Thong with the “tree of life” mosaic set in coloured glass. We then stop for lunch at a local restaurant.
In the afternoon, we visit the National Museum at the former Royal Palace. We can admire the amazing collection of artifacts that reflect the richness of Lao culture throughout the ages.
Afterwards, we climb Mount Phousi, which is Luang Prabang’s highest hill and stands at 100 metres above sea level and is a great spot to watch the sunset and offers panoramic views of Luang Prabang.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang.
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the airport.
For operational reasons and passenger safety, Tweet World Travel and its suppliers reserve the right to change, vary, modify or cancel any itinerary or arrangement in relation to the tour/cruise as considered necessary.
All of our tours require a reasonable level of fitness. Every traveller on our tours is required the ability to walk around sights on uneven surfaces in both urban and rural / mountainous areas unaided. You'll be getting on and off coaches and boats, walking around the sights and climbing some steps.
Please read our itinerary carefully for outline of fitness level to help you select the right holiday for you.
• All persons must be fit and physically able to partake unaided in their chosen activities/packages/tours /cruise etc. as outlined in the itinerary.
• All parties acknowledge the physical demands and hazards involved in the tour or cruise they will be undertaking and have chosen to participate at their own risk.
Our group size ranges from only 2 to 16 people. This means less of your precious time is wasted waiting for others, allowing you to have more time to enjoy your holiday.
For group tours with 10 travellers or more, in addition to the tour guide, we will provide a dedicated tour director (free of charge) who will escort the tour from the beginning to the end.
Our itinerary features sumptuous Welcome and Farewell Dinners for a delightful, authentic culinary experience, whereas the special Chef’s Table experience will take you on an unparalleled culinary demonstration and beautiful menu to feast on.
Note: It is your responsibility to notify us of any dietary requests/requirements. We will do our best to meet your request/requirements, however, cannot guarantee that it can always be accommodated.
• Room Information: All rooms are air-conditioned, Fridge/ Mini Bar in room, Safe box in room
• Triple Share: Available upon request
• Bedding Configuration: Double or twin bedding (subject to availability).
• Adjoining / Interconnecting Rooms: Available upon request (subject to availability).
• Laundry service is available at hotels/resorts where you will stay during the tour and will incur additional charges if used
• Massage service is available at hotels where you will stay during the tour and will incur additional charges if used.
After purchase, you are required to make a deposit or full payment for your order. Please note most of our deposit is non-refundable. Please check your booking and your invoice for the Terms and Conditions which apply specifically to your booking.
If you would like to cancel your booking, please refer to our cancellation terms.
• Any special requests, preferences MUST be clearly stated in your Passenger Information Form
• Any change requested after submitting your Passenger Information Form cannot be guaranteed, is strictly subject to availability and will incur surcharges
Safety Net Protection enables passengers to amend their tour and/or river cruise 15 days prior to departure, to another tour/cruise to the same destination, departing in the same year (once only) without any applicable cancellation charges or penalties.
The new tour/cruise must be at the same cost or higher but cannot be at lower cost than the initial cruise/ tour booked. If the passenger chooses the higher cost option, then the additional difference amount must be paid. However, no modifications shall be accepted less than 15 days prior to departure.
• Safety Net Protection is payable immediately at the time of making the deposit payment. Once purchased, Safety Net Protection is not refundable
• Safety Net Protection does not apply for airfares or third-party fees and charges.
• Safety Net Protection allows for amendment ONLY, not cancellation.
• You will be responsible for all your personal belongings while on the tours. It is your responsibility to make sure your room is secure.
In general, tipping is widely accepted as a way to show your appreciation of good service but is not compulsory. Tipping is expected and often makes up a large part of people's wages.
• If you are happy with services provided by your tour guides and drivers, a tip is appreciated. Recommended tips - For the guides and drivers - $6US per day per passenger.
• If travel on a river cruises and happy with the services provided by your crews and service onboard. Recommended tips - For the crews and guides - $10US per day per passenger.
All of our tours will include internal flights within the tour, which allow 20kg of check-in luggage and 7kg of carry-on luggage per passenger. A surcharge may apply for oversized/overweight luggage subject to the airline's policy.
• You will be responsible for all your personal belongings while on the tours/cruises. It is your responsibility to make sure your room/cabin is secure.
• Tweet World Travel will not be liable for any loss or damage to your luggage or other personal belongings.
For your protection, we strongly recommend that you purchase comprehensive travel insurance for your travel arrangements (without limitation) that include coverage for medical expenses, loss of luggage, cruise, land content and airfare charges that may occur.
You need to provide us your Travel Insurance details upon booking, or at least before 30 days prior to your departure.
If you do not have travel insurance prior to your departure, we retain the rights to refuse boarding/joining our tours or cruises. We might refund / provide travel credits for you, less any unrecoverable fees including but not limited to admin fees, visas fees, other suppliers’ cancellation fees. We won’t be held liable for any costs associated with this matter.
All of our school tours include the below standard inclusions:
- 24/7 local assistance and travel guidance
- Medical kit
- Airport Meet-and-Greet welcome service with the local tour guide
- Assistance with project coordination for community project/services or mission/immersion trips
- Destination and trip Information Packs
- A unique "local-host" experience exclusively offered by Tweet World Travel
- Laos Visa
- Stay at excellent hand-selected high-quality 3 or 4- star accommodation in a central location or adjacent to monuments or strategically at the edge of a wilderness.
- We guarantee that students will be located together within the same area in hotels
- Entrance fees at monuments
- Comprehensive sightseeing as per itinerary:
- Vientiane city tour
- Laos cooking class
- Trekking at Kuangsi Waterfall
- Morning Alms giving ceremony
- Pak Ou caves exploration
- Paper & Weaving village tour
- Luang Prabang city tour
- All local government fees & tax
- Service project at a disadvantaged community in Vientiane
- Education and assistance at Bears Rescue Centre
- Domestic flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang with full-service airlines
- Flight in Economy Class with luggage allowance
- Arrival and departure airport transfers in private air-conditioned vehicles
- All touring in private air-conditioned vehicles
- Locally based professional drivers
TOUR GUIDE & TOUR LEADER
- English-speaking local tour guides who live and breathe the destination – they will bring your itinerary to life
- On top of local tour guides, we will provide an experienced Local Tour Director. He or she will oversee the entire journey, accompany your group every day and connect you to the people, places and encounters in a way you’ll never forget.
- Welcome & Farewell Dinner
- A Unique & Varied Dining Experience
- Full Breakfast Daily; Select Lunches and Dinners (B=breakfast; L=lunch; D=dinner)
- Projects your group would like to participate
- Desired outcome/Learning objectives for students
- Accommodation level
- Travel date
- Group Size
- Duration of the tour
Your Laos visa is included in our tour and we act on your behalf to apply for the visas, all necessary documents relating to your visa application will have to be provided to us at least 90 days before your departure. If you fail to provide the necessary documents before 90 days prior to your departure, we will not be held liable for your visa application.
The visa fee included in our tour is not refundable in any circumstances.
- All travellers must have a valid passport for international travel and most countries require at least 6 months validity from the date of return and some countries require a machine‐readable passport.
- If you provide all necessary documents relating to your visa application in less than 90 day before departure, an additional fee of $120 per person will incur.
- It is your sole responsibility for any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not satisfying the requirements of those authorities
- Travellers might need to present the visas at multiple checkpoints and may be refused to fly out of their countries, if the visa documents cannot be presented. If such an event occurs, we won’t be liable, and the travellers will be deemed as “no-show”. Please check our term and condition for a ‘’No-show” penalty.